CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, March 15, 2008

Rainbow Day



I know I haven't posted in FOREVER and I have so many fun things that we've been doing. . . but I wanted to share about our morning this St. Patrick's Day. We had a rainbow day, in honor of pots of gold and all that, however we also read about Noah and the first rainbow. We've been doing some color mixing lately and here are some of the activities that built on that. 


We read What Makes A Rainbow and then we followed the colors in order and added food coloring, mixing colors when necessary to six glasses of water that I had filled to various heights. Then we "played" the rims with a spoon and listened to the different tones. We then compared it to our rainbow colored xylophone and the tones it produced. Caedmon used his translucent color paddles that I got from Oriental Trading to decide how to mix the colors. 

We also tried to create a rainbow using the sunlight shining through a glass of water, but alas it was too cloudy. So, I used a prism in front of the window, directly over white paper and we also experimented with light and CD's. We all drew rainbows. 

Our final fun thing this morning was to brainstorm colored veggies that we could make a rainbow salad with. Caedmon wrote the list and I ran to the store for the ingredients. Both boys ate everything except the red (purple) cabbage:) 

1 comments:

Hannah Marie said...

Why didn't our mom do "rainbow day"?